Either way, you have to complete a California Apostille Cover Letter.
California Apostille Authentication Request Form
Important News and Notice
Issuance of a Single Authentication Certificate: Effective January 1, 2017, the California Secretary of State’s office will begin issuing a single Authentication Certificate for documents to be used outside of the country rather than issuing either an Apostille or Certificate depending on the country of destination.
This means that California Secretary of State is now issuing “Apostille Certificate” only for all documents destined for use outside the United States, regardless of the destination country.
Content of CA Cover Letter
The Secretary of State requires an authentication request form to know what is the service being requested and to contact the requester of the service in case of any problem. There are basic information that you must provide whenever you request an apostille from any Secretary of State in all 50 states, for example:
1. The contact information
- Name of the person submitting the order.
- Name of your company ” If found”
- A daytime phone number
- Your personal email
- Date of submitting the request
- Your address, or the company address
2. Document information
- Number of documents
- Destination country
- Document type
- A section for additional information if you have any special requirements.
3. Payment Information
- The amount of your payment
- The payment method” Money order, Check”
4. Mailing information
The return method of your package” in case of mailing service”. The Secretary of State office will return all mailed request via US postal service, regular mail. In case you prefer an alternative method, you must provide a prepaid return airway bill.
- Prepaid return airway bill “FedEx, UPS or DHL”
- The return address” it may differ from your address”
California Apostille Service | Mailed Orders
You can mail your CA Apostille request to California Secretary of State office in Sacramento. It is the only office that can process mailed orders
Fees: $20.00 per document
Processing time: 8 Business days
The California SOS office in Los Angeles and Sacramento can process Walk-in Apostille service.
Processing time: one business day
California-Apostille provides expedited California document Apostille service in charge of $60.00 per document all inclusive” doesn’t include the shipping fee” and the processing time is just 3 hours. Examples of documents that we can apostille in California:
|Corporate documents||Commercial Export documents||Personal Documents|
|Statement of Dissolution||Commercial Invoice||School/ College Transcript|
|Stock Purchase Agreement||Certificate of Origin||School/ College Diploma|
|Certificate of Incumbency||Packing List||Teaching Credentials|
|Certificate of existence||Bill of Lading (Air, Ocean, Truck, Rail)||TESOL Certificate|
|Letter of Authorization||Insurance Certificate||Bachelor Degree/ Certificate|
|Articles of Incorporation||Halal Certificate||Graduate Record Examination GRE|
|Certificate of Merger||Kosher Certificate||Doctorate Certificate|
|Company Bylaws||Health Certificate||Master Degree|
|Business License||Dangerous Goods Certificate||Associate Degree|
|Assignment||Consular Invoice||Doctorate Degree|
|Certificate of Good Standing||Pro Forma Invoice||Birth Certificate|
|Power of Attorney.||Export License||Death Certificate|
|Certificate of Analysis||Export Declaration||Marriage Certificate|
|Certificate of Formation||Phytosanitary Certificate||Divorce Certificate|
|Amendment||Certificate of Analysis||Divorce decree|
|ISO Certificate||Pre-Shipment Inspection||Driver License|
|Technical Data Sheet||Veterinary certificate||US Passport|
|Affidavit||Sales certificate||Police Clearance|
Authentication Certificate (Apostille)
News and Notices
Issuance of a Single Authentication Certificate: Effective January 1, 2017, the California Secretary of State's office will begin issuing a single Authentication Certificate for documents to be used outside of the country rather than issuing either an Apostille or Certificate depending on the country of destination.
The California Secretary of State provides authentication of public official signatures on documents to be used outside the United States of America.
An Authentication Certificate only certifies the authenticity of the signature of the official who signed the document, the capacity in which that official acted, and when appropriate, the identity of the seal or stamp which the document bears. The Authentication Certificate does not validate the other contents of the document.
- The California Secretary of State authenticates signatures only on documents issued in the State of California signed by a notary public or the following public officials and their deputies:
- County Clerks or Recorders
- Court Administrators of the Superior Court
- Executive Clerks of the Superior Court
- Officers whose authority is not limited to any particular county
- Executive Officers of the Superior Court
- Judges of the Superior Court
- State Officials
- Authentication requests can be submitted by mail to our Sacramento office. Please refer to our Processing Times webpage for daily updated processing information.
- When submitting a request for authentication by mail, please include the following items:
- The original notarized and/or certified document(s). A photocopy is not acceptable.
- A cover letter stating the country in which the document will be used.
- A check or money order for the authentication fee of $20 per authentication certificate made payable to Secretary of State and payable in U.S. dollars.
- A self-addressed envelope for the return mail. If you wish to use a mail tracking service, please provide a pre-paid air bill. If you do not use a prepaid service, our office will mail your document(s) by U.S. Postal Service regular mail at no charge.
- Authentication requests can be presented in person to our Sacramento or Los Angeles office locations for processing between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). A $20 fee for each authentication certificate and an additional $6 special handling fee for each different public official's signature to be authenticated is required. When presenting a request in person to either of our offices, no appointment is necessary. Customers are served on a "first come first serve" basis. Payments can be made by check, money order, or credit card (Visa or MasterCard). Cash is not accepted at the Los Angeles office. Please refer to Contact Information for office addresses.
- "The ABCs of Apostilles" (PDF) brochure provides basic information about the Apostille Convention and the Convention's operation that has been prepared by the Permanent Bureau (Secretariat) of the Hague Conference on Private International Law and is provided with the Permanent Bureau's permission. The Permanent Bureau hopes this brochure will assist the millions of users of the Apostille Convention around the world.